Frilli Gallery

Showing 1-12 of 13 item(s)

In the era when a proper education included the Grand Tour for Europe, Florence became the preferred location for spending months at a time, if not years, and then perhaps the eventual place for a second home or cultural retreat.

In 1860 Antonio Frilli, by then an internationally renown sculptor, decided to open the Frilli Gallery In Via dei Fossi, the street for Florentine antique dealers.

Also at this time, the Gallery started offering a large selection of replicas, top quality reproduction of museum masterpieces. The more time international guest spent in Florence, the more they wanted to take back something to remind them of the local culture and its great tradition in the arts.

The replicas were higly-valued as they are cast in bronze or carved in marble, with the same technique used by the masters. Already popular in antiquity, as most of the classical pieces shown in museums today are actually replicas of lost originals, they became even more popular in the renaissance, al Roman an Greek art was rediscovered. At the same time smaller reproductions of large originals, much easier to display in large numbers in the home, Became collectible items. During almost 150 years of activity Frilli Gallery cherished this tradition and Became the name of reference for private collectors, interior designers, Landscapers and the museums of the world.

Over the years, Frilli Gallery pieces have been purchased by royal families, shown at international exhibitions and sold at major auction houses. Many special project have been commissioned ad well. 

At the turn of 19th century Frilli Gallery was the most prominent contributor to the Italian pavilion al the San Francisco World Expo. At the turn of the 20th century Frilli Gallery was asked to cast the replicas of Ghiberti’s doors of the Baptistery oh Florence, called the paradise doors. The finest  replicas, made by Frilli Gallery, were installed in place of the 500 years old doors so that the original masterpieces could be protected indoors.

Today, as in 1860, Frilli Gallery offers probably the largest selection of quality pieces of sculpture, in the world.